Welcome to the Upper Band
A warm welcome to the Upper Band page. Here, you will find all the latest information about our learning in class, our homework and trips as well as special events. We have five classes in the Upper Band and a fantastic team of adults working with our year 5 and 6 children:
- Puffin Class (5SG) - Mrs Groves (teacher), Mrs Byran (HLTA)
- Jay Class (5KW) - Miss Wallbridge (teacher), Mrs Bryan (HLTA)
- Kingfisher Class (5/6AD) - Mr Desmond (teacher), Mrs Thatcher (HLTA), Miss Roseblade (TA)
- Falcon Class (6ET) - Miss Thackeray (teacher), Mrs Byrom (TA), Mrs Holmes-Volk (TA)
- Kestrel Class (6LL) - Miss Love (teacher), Mrs Teller (TA)
Year 6 SATS and PGL camp
Please see below for our SATS/PGL powerpoint. All information packs including medical forms and kit lists have been sent home - please return any forms before half term (14th February). The named envelope included with the packs is for 5 x £1 coins should you wish to send pocket money for your child to spend in the on-site shop (£1 daily maximum). Please hand this into the school office.
Please also see our grammar terminology guide for parents of Year 6 children to support their understanding of the content of the SATS Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPAG) test.
Upper Band Term 4
This term, we will be focusing on humans and animals! Please see our topic web below for more information about what we will be learning.
What's on this term...
- Monday 24th February - first day of term 4
- Monday 24th February - Y5 fair trade visitor
- Monday 16th March to Friday 20th March - Year 6 PGL camp
- Monday 23rd March - Easter Service at Christ Church
- Thursday 2nd April - last day of term 4
- Friday 3rd April - INSET day
- Monday 20th April - first day of term 5
Home Learning in the Upper Band
During years 5 and 6 at CCJ, children are expected to complete weekly maths, spellings, reading and English tasks.
We have new reading records which also double up as a weekly diary. We intend for children to use these to communicate about PE days, homework and other information from your child’s class teacher so please ensure your child is in the habit of bringing it into class every morning. Children should read 5 times a week and there is space for a parent signature so that every child knows both parents and teachers are monitoring this.
Please see below for our termly spellings overview. Spellings will be set every Tuesday and tested in class the following Monday.
As was the case last year, children still have access to DoodleMaths and the expectation is that children complete tasks little and often. Teachers will set one larger maths task each week.
New for 2019: your child now has access to DoodleEnglish and DoodleSpellings. These apps can be downloaded free online for tablets, PCs or smartphones - please follow this link. Just like DoodleMaths, the expectation is that children complete tasks little and often (about 5 or 10 minutes per day) to consolidate learning in class.